After drawing widespread criticism for his comments on Congress and the victim of the Mysuru rape case, Karnataka Home Minister Araga Jnanendra on Friday clarified that “he had no intention to hurt anybody” while withdrawing his comments on the incident.
Addressing a press conference the home minister has said that, “I had withdrawn the statement made earlier on the Congress party leaders”.
“We are committed to ensuring the safety of all sections in the society,” he added.
Jnanendra further said that security measures will be tightened further to ensure the protection of all, especially women.
Referring to the Mysuru gang-rape incident he said that police officers were investigating the case and culprits will be nabbed.
The victim is being treated in hospital and is still under medical care.
On Thursday, the home minister alleged that the Congress party was politicising the issue in order to gain political mileage and added, “The Congress is trying to rape me”.
He further said that under Congress’s regime, many similar incidents had taken place as well.
Apart from criticising the Congress, the minister questioned the timing of the college student’s visit to the deserted site on the outskirts of Mysuru where she was allegedly gang-raped by unidentified men.